Unified Payments Interface (UPI) is a next-generation online payment solution launched by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the umbrella organisation for all retail payments in India, to promote cashless transactions in support of Digital India initiatives.
UPI will transform the way people make payments today by empowering users to perform instant push and pull transactions from multiple accounts with their smartphones and a single identifier – such as a mobile number or virtual payments address – without entering any bank account information. UPI is one of the most advanced methods of all the digital payment initiatives currently in use.
Why HSM is Required:
- In order to ensure the highest levels of integrity in the UPI solution, NPCI has recognised the requirement to store the private key used to process the transaction in a FIPS-certified, tamper-resistant environment, and have therefore mandated the use of an appropriate HSM for all participants.
- Thales Hardware Security Modules (HSMs) provide a secure environment for cryptographic processing, key protection, and key management that meet widely established and emerging standards while also maintaining high levels of operational efficiency.
- Thales payShield 9000 HSM has newly developed firmware that supports UPI – meaning that new customers can achieve instant compliance and existing customers can utilise their existing hardware with a simple upgrade; saving the cost of procuring new hardware and leveraging their investment in the world’s most trusted payment HSM, whilst continuing to secure transactions seamlessly.
- World’s most trusted payment HSM used in over 80% of global payment transactions
- Establishing a secure root of trust for all financial transactions through the UPI payment process with complete end-to-end encryption
- Protecting user credentials, maintaining confidentiality and managing private keys responsible for digital signing
- Stateless design and tamper-resistant hardware ensure that user PINs are never compromised
- Delivering comprehensive, certified security to support UPI, including enhanced GUI utility to create and manage digital certificates
- Protecting the bank’s reputation for stability and security